COSMETIC EYELID SURGERY (Blepharoplasty) REMOVES SAGGING SKIN AROUND THE EYE AREA FOR BRIGHTER AND YOUNGER EYES.
As we get older our skin gradually loses its elasticity. Although this naturally occurs across our bodies it is often most noticeably in the delicate skin around the eye. This can create the appearance of excess skin, wrinkling and puffiness. In addition, the compartments holding fat pads around the eyes can become stretched and the fat starts to push through, creating 'eye-bags' and contributing to a tired appearance. We offer both Upper Eyelid Surgery and Lower Eyelid Surgery to correct any cosmetic concerns you have so that you can behold the world with confidence.
key treatment areas
Blepharoplasty targets excess skin that cannot be treated with just Botox™ alone. This treatment can help improve peripheral vision if this is blocked by sagging skin. It also targets eye-bags and wrinkles around the eye area, improving their appearance.
We want to make sure all your questions are answered, and don’t want charges to put you off. After your first consultation, all future ones will not be charged, either before or after surgery, however many times you need to talk things through.
We recommend gentle activity for the first 48 hours, and pain medication can be taken for your comfort. It’s a good idea to have a cool pack in the fridge and to use it regularly for the first 48 hours. You can shower after this time.
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN A BLEPHAROPLASTY? +
Fulvio uses a variety of techniques depending on the specific problem to be addressed. Most commonly he uses a combination of skin tightening procedures together with a reshaping of the fatty eye bag. This produces a more alert, brighter and younger look, with scars well hidden in the natural creases of the eyelids. Eye ointment is given for a few weeks to prevent dry eyes. Surgery is carried out either under local or general anaesthesia depending on your individual procedure. Surgery normally takes around 30 minutes per eyelid.
WHAT IS UPPER EYELID BLEPHAROPLASTY SURGERY? +
The incisions are generally made along the natural upper eyelid crease. Excess skin and fatty tissue is then removed together with a thin strip of muscle to improve the eyelid contour. The scar is hidden in the crease of the eyelid and is one of the few scars that even a plastic surgeon may have difficulty identifying when it has fully healed.
WHAT IS LOWER EYELID BLEPHAROPLASTY SURGERY? +
Incisions are most commonly made just below the lower eyelashes. The skin and muscle is then lifted allowing access to the fat pads and removal of excess fat. In some cases, it is helpful to re-shape fatty tissue into the cheek. Skin and muscle are then trimmed as needed. If you have a lower-lid eye bag without substantial droopy skin, it is sometimes more appropriate to make your incision inside the eyelid itself, leaving no externally visible scar. The operation can be carried out in exactly the same way except that skin is not trimmed at the end of the procedure.
WHAT RESULTS SHOULD I EXPECT FROM BLEPHAROPLASTY? +
The blepharoplasty gives a more youthful and tighter appearance around the eyes, with less excess skin and a reduction in under eye bags. Immediately after the surgey you may experience bruising, blurred vision and some swelling, this will go down with time.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF BLEPHAROPLASTY? +
Any surgery carries potential risks, which you must be aware of before proceeding. Blepharoplasty carries risks of:
- Externally visible scars
- Infection, bleeding
- Bruising and swelling
- Pulling or eversion of the lower eyelid (scleral show or ectropion)
- Developing dry or itchy eyes.
- There can also be a serious, but thankfully rare risk of bleeding behind the eyeball, called a retrobulbar haematoma, which if not treated rapidly can progress to permanent blindness of the affected eye. Please get in touch prior to surgery if you wish to discuss these or any other risks.
WHAT IS RECOVERY FROM BELPHAROPLASTY LIKE? +
- Analgesia (pain relief) - Ibuprofen and paracetamol can be taken
- Complete rest will be necessary for 48 hours
- Daily tepid showers will be possible after 48hours
- Surgical skin tapes should be left in place for 2 weeks
- The hospital or surgeon should be contacted if you develop a temperature
- The hospital or surgeon should also be contacted immediately in rare cases of bleeding or rapid swelling
- Patients should take care not to over exert themselves in the first few weeks and to keep pressure off the wounds
- Wounds will be checked and sutures removed normally at 1 week
- Fulvio will see you routinely at 1, 2 and 6 weeks after surgery
- Dressing care nurses may see you more often
- Swelling reduces after a few weeks
Upper Blepharoplasty – £1800-£3800
Lower Blepharoplasty – £4000-£4500